We are excited to welcome you, your family, and your children to Kindergarten in the Melrose Public Schools. See below for resources and information about our kindergarten program. Information will be added to this page as it becomes available so please check back often.
Melrose Public Schools invites families of students entering Kindergarten to participate in the following events:
Wednesday, January 18, 2017 – Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School Auditorium – 7:00 p.m.
Meet and greet with school department personnel and building principals who will provide an overview of the kindergarten registration process and answer any questions.
School Tour Nights
Lincoln School and Winthrop School, Monday, January 23, 2017
45-minute tours will begin promptly at 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. from the all-purpose room
Hoover School, Horace Mann School and Roosevelt School, Wednesday, January 25, 2017
45-minute tours will begin promptly at 5:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m., and 7:30 p.m. from the all-purpose room
Note: The information night, tours and registration are intended for adult caregivers so they may be informed of school specific details in order to make their Kindergarten choices. Incoming students will have an opportunity to visit their assigned Kindergarten classrooms prior to the start of school.
On-line pre-registration will open 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, January 29 and close 11:00 p.m. on Sunday, February 12, 2017.
Why pre-register? Pre-registering will expedite your visit during the registration process. All families, whether you have pre-registered or not, must attend a registration session listed below. If you do not have access to a computer to complete the on-line pre-registration, paper packets will be available at the following locations beginning on February 1:
- Our website melroseschools.com – click on family, then student registration
- Our Elementary Schools
- The Parent Information Center located at Central Administration
- The Early Childhood Center at the Franklin School
- The Melrose Public Library
<<< Registration >>>
All families, whether you have pre-registered or not, must attend a registration session listed below:
Monday, February 27, 2017, 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School (café), 350 Lynn Fells Pkwy.
Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 8:30 a.m. – noon – Parent Information Center (Central Admin.), 360 Lynn Fells Pkwy.
Thursday, March 2, 2017, 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. – Parent Information Center (Central Admin.), 360 Lynn Fells Pkwy.
NOTE: Registrations are not processed on a first come basis and priority is not given to those registering on the first night. However, it is important that you attend a registration session on February 27th, March 1st or March 2nd to be considered “on time”. With this in mind, please attend a registration session that best suits your personal schedule. Registrations received after March 2, 2017 will result in assignments being made on a space available basis.
Requirements for Kindergarten:
- Must be 5 years of age by September 1, 2017.
- Must be a resident of Melrose.
- Parents must attend a registration session to provide documents outlined below.
All families must bring the following documents to a registration session. The Registration Checklist will help ensure you have all the documents you need.
- A copy of the On-line Registration Confirmation Page, which is sent to you via email after you have completed the on-line registration process. If you miss the on-line registration period, please print out and complete the Kindergarten Registration Form. If you completed the online registration you do not need to complete a paper registration form.
- Original birth certificate. (Original document with seal must be presented.) We will make a copy for our file and return the original back to you.
- One original proof of residency from each of the 3 categories listed in the MPS Residency Procedures . These documents must be an original mailed from the bill source, not a fax or printout from an online billing/payment center.
- Home Language Survey
- Current physical exam, including immunizations. (Must be within 12 months of the start of school.
Further details will be available at www.melroseschools.com following the Parent Information Session or can be obtained by calling the Parent Information Center at 781-662-2000 ext. 1.