Officers of the Committee continue in office until the next organizational meeting.
Duties of the officers are as follows:
The Chairman will preside at all meetings of the Committee and will perform other duties as directed by law, State Department of Education and Department of Elementary and Secondary Education regulations, and by the Committee. In carrying out these responsibilities, the Chairman will:
- Sign the instruments, acts and orders necessary to carry out state requirements and the will of the Committee.
- Consult with the Superintendent in the planning of the Committee’s agendas.
- Confer with the Superintendent on matters that may occur between Committee meetings.
- Appoint ad hoc task forces as deemed necessary.
- Appoint each subcommittee’s Chairman and Vice Chairman at the first meeting in January or other time deemed necessary.
- Call regular and special meetings of the Committee as deemed necessary.
- Be the public spokesperson for the Committee at all times except as this responsibility is specifically delegated to others.
- Be responsible for the orderly conduct of Committee meetings.
As presiding officer at all meetings of the Committee, the Chairman will:
- Call the meeting to order at the appointed time.
- Announce the business to come before the Committee in its proper order.
- Enforce the Committee’s policies relating to the order of business and the conduct of meetings.
- Recognize persons who desire to speak, and protect the speaker who has the floor from disturbance or interference.
- Explain what the effect of a motion would be if it is not clear to every member.
- Restrict discussion to the question when a motion is before the Committee.
- Answer all parliamentary inquiries, referring appropriate questions to City Legal Counsel.
- Put motions to a vote, stating definitely and clearly the vote and result thereof.
The Chairman will have rights consistent with those of other Committee members relative to offering resolutions, discussing motions, and voting.
The Vice Chairman will assume all duties and responsibilities of the Chairman in the Chairman’s absence.
The Executive Secretary will have the following duties:
- Keep or cause to be kept an accurate journal of all Committee meetings.
- Comply with state law and Committee policy regarding notification of meetings.
- Render such reports as may be required by the state or the city.
MSC first vote: 8/20/13
MSC second vote: 8/27/13