Standing subcommittees include:
- Finance and Facilities
- Policy and Planning
- Educational Programs and Personnel
Each subcommittee will consist of all Committee members. The Chairman will not simultaneously hold the position of subcommittee chairman, and no Committee member will chair more than one subcommittee.
Other provisions of subcommittees include:
- Standing subcommittees will be established through action of the Committee.
- The Committee Chairman will appoint the subcommittee chairman and vice chairman at the organizational meeting for a period of one year.
- The subcommittee will be provided with a list of its functions and duties.
- The subcommittee may make recommendations for Committee action, but it may not act for the Committee
- Subcommittees are subject to the provisions of the Open Meeting Law.
Below are the primary duties of standing subcommittee chairmen:
- Organize the activities of the subcommittee’s topic area.
- Invite appropriate, fair, and adequate participation of other Committee members, staff members, and community members.
- Develop agendas that are consistent with the overall goals and objectives of the Committee, and include any issues requiring immediate attention.
- Plan and facilitate subcommittee agenda items that are organized, purposeful and productive.
- Invite representation of those involved in or affected by subcommittee discussions, decisions, and recommendations.
- Preside over subcommittee agenda items, and when necessary, act as recorder. In the absence of the subcommittee chairman, the subcommittee vice chairman will preside. In the absence of both subcommittee chairman and vice chairman, the Committee Chairman will preside.
- Work with the Superintendent or designee to develop an annual calendar of activities and discussion for the subcommittee based on established Committee goals and objectives.
- Review the calendar monthly and provide the Chairman and Superintendent with changes and cancellations in the timeliest manner possible.
- Support informed Committee decision-making by working with the Superintendent or designee to communicate the community’s interest and expectations around subcommittee agenda topics and accompanying documentation.
- Provide the Committee with new information that is relevant to, and may affect, the subcommittee’s topic areas and resulting Committee decisions in a manner consistent with Open Meeting Law.
- Prepare a year-end subcommittee self-assessment report that includes proposed subcommittee goals and objectives for the upcoming year.
MSC first vote: 8/20/13
MSC second vote: 8/27/13