The following general policies will govern the appointment and functioning of advisory committees to the Committee other than the Student Advisory Committee, which is governed by the terms of Massachusetts General Laws.
1. Advisory committees may be created by the Committee to serve as task forces for special purposes or to provide continuing consultation in a particular area of activity. There will be no standing overall Advisory Committee to the Committee.
2. If an advisory committee is required by state or federal law, its composition and appointment will meet all of the guidelines established for that particular type of committee.
3. The composition of task forces and other advisory committees will be broadly representative and take into consideration the specific tasks assigned to the committee. School department staff members may be appointed to the committee as members or consultants.
4. Appointments to such committees will be made by the Committee. Appointments of staff members to such committees will be made by the Committee upon recommendation of the Superintendent.
5. Tenure of committee members will be specified by the Committee, depending on its needs.
6. Each advisory committee will be clearly instructed as to:
- The length of time each member is being asked to serve.
- The assignment the Committee wants the advisory committee to fulfill as well as the extent and limitations of its responsibilities.
- The resources the Committee will provide.
- The approximate dates on which the Committee wishes to receive reports.
- Committee policies governing citizens, committees and the relationship of these committees to the Committee as a whole, individual Committee members, the Superintendent and other members of the district staff
- The responsibilities of the release of information to the media.
- The process for handling confidential documents and information
7. Recommendations of committees will be based upon research and fact.
8. The Committee possesses certain legal powers and prerogatives that cannot be delegated or surrendered to others. All recommendations of an advisory committee must be submitted to the Committee. The Committee will have the sole power to dissolve any of its advisory committees and will reserve the right to exercise this power at any time during the life of any committee.
9. The Committee Chairman will furnish a list of names of members of any advisory committee to Committee members and the Superintendent.
Advisory committees created under this policy are subject to the provisions of the Open Meeting Law.
MSC first vote: 5/28/13
MSC second vote: 6/11/13