All staff members will be provided with suitable opportunities to engage in, and will be encouraged to participate in, suitable opportunities for the development of increased competencies beyond those they may attain through the performance of their assigned duties and assistance from supervisors subject to federal and state laws and regulations, collective bargaining agreements, and Committee budget and policies.
Any and all professional development must be undertaken with the improvement of student academic outcomes as the primary goal, and the Superintendent will consistently evaluate programming to ensure that professional development deliverables are of the highest quality that time and monetary restrictions allow.
Opportunities for professional growth may be provided through such means as:
- Planned in-service programs and workshops offered within the district that may include participation by outside consultants.
- Membership on committees and task forces that draw members from inside and outside the district.
- Released time for visits to other classrooms and schools and for attendance at conferences, workshops, and/or other professional meetings.
- Leaves of absence for graduate study, research, and travel.
- Partial payment of tuition for approved courses.
The Superintendent will have the authority to approve or deny released time for conferences and visitations as well as reimbursements for expenses, provided such activities are within budget allocations for those purposes.
MSC first vote: 10/14/14
MSC second vote: 10/28/14