The Melrose Public Schools has established a district-wide web page that links users to web pages for the district’s schools. The district maintains these web pages for educational purposes only, in furtherance of its educational mission.
Supervision and Approval of Web Pages
Only those web pages maintained in accordance with Committee policy and established procedures will be recognized as official representations of the district or individual schools. All information on a school or district web page must accurately reflect the mission, goals, policies, program, and activities of the school and district. Web pages must have a purpose that falls within at least one of three categories:
- Support of curriculum and instruction – intended to provide educational resources and information.
- Public information – intended to communicate information about the schools and district to students, staff, parents, community, and the world at large.
- District technology support – intended to provide and respond to instructional and administrative technology needs of students and staff.
The Superintendent (or designee) may select the person or persons (“the Webmaster”) responsible for overseeing the district’s web pages and maintaining the web pages in a manner consistent with this policy and Policy IJND: Access to Digital Resources. The Webmaster must approve all links from the district web pages to other sites on the Internet. The Webmaster will review the links to ensure they links are related to the district’s educational mission.
Staff members may publish web pages related to their class projects or courses on their school’s web site and will link them in the district’s School Interoperability Framework (SIF). Staff members must submit their material to the Webmaster for approval before the material can be published. Staff members may not publish or link to personal web pages as part of the district web site.
Student or staff work (e.g. voice, likeness, quotes, written material, musical pieces, and graphic or other artwork) may be published on district web pages, as detailed below. All work that is published will be accompanied by a copyright notice written by the Webmaster that prohibits copying the work without the written consent of the copyright holder.
All web page materials are expected to be accurate, grammatically correct, and free of spelling errors. Student work may deviate from this standard depending upon the age and grade level of the student. Web pages should be well organized and professional in appearance. Web pages must not contain copyrighted or trademarked material belonging to others unless written permission to display such material has been obtained from the owner and the owner is credited on the school’s web page.
As with any instructional materials or publication used by or representing the school or district, the principal or Superintendent, respectively, are ultimately responsible for accuracy and appropriateness of the information made available. Concern about the content of any page(s) created by students or staff should be directed to the principal or to the Superintendent’s office.
Web sites developed under contract for the Melrose Public Schools or within the scope of employment by district employees are the property of the Melrose Public Schools.
- In general
Identifying information about students, such as first and last names and personal phone numbers or home addresses, will not be published. First names or first names and the first letter of the student’s last name may be used where appropriate.
- Student photographs
- Student photographs will be published only with the written consent of the student’s parent or guardian.
- Student photographs will not be accompanied by identifying information about the student(s).
- Student work
Student work, e.g. voice, likeness, quotes, written material, musical pieces, and graphic or other artwork, may be published only with the written consent of the student’s parent or guardian.
- Staff photographs, identifying information and work
- Photographs of staff members, accompanied by the staff member’s full name, may be published only with the staff member’s written consent.
- Staff work, e.g. voice, likeness, quotes, written material, musical pieces and graphic or other artwork, may be published only with the staff member’s written consent.
Informational review: 10/13/15
MSC first vote: 10/27/15
MSC second vote: 11/10/15