The Committee will place limits on commercial activities and fundraising activities in the schools for the following reasons:
- The district provides students, families and staff members with some measure of protection from exploitation by commercial and charitable fundraising organizations.
2. The district will not endorse or sanction commercial and fundraising activities.
3. Commercial and fundraising activities may disrupt school routine and cause loss of instructional time.
Following these guiding statements, the Superintendent and principals may permit occasional commercial or fundraising activities related to the objectives of the district with the following exceptions:
1. No direct solicitation of students, families or employees may take place without Committee permission.
2. No general or classroom distribution of commercial or fundraising literature (whether by paper, email or web site posting) may take place without permission from the Superintendent.
3. No literature of a religious or political nature or about religious or political topics will be distributed.
For the purposes of this policy, parent-teacher organizations and groups representing staff members will be considered “school groups” and will be governed by the Committee’s policy on staff solicitations.
MSC first vote: 8/27/13
MSC second vote: 9/10/13