The Committee desires the public to attend and/or witness its meetings so that the public may become better acquainted with the operations and programs of the district. All regular and special meetings will be open to the public. Executive sessions will be held only as prescribed by the Statutes of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
In order that all who wish to address the Committee have an opportunity to be heard, and to ensure the ability of the Committee to conduct the district’s business in an orderly and expeditious manner, the following rules apply to Public Comment:
- At the start of each regularly scheduled Committee meeting, individuals or group representatives will be invited to address the Committee. The Chairman will determine the length of the Public Comment segment.
- Speakers will print their names on the designated Public Comment form and are allowed five (5) minutes to present their material. The Chairman or a majority of Committee members may permit extension of this time limit.
- Improper conduct and/or remarks will not be allowed. Defamatory or abusive remarks are always out of order. If a speaker persists in improper conduct or remarks, the Chairman may terminate that individual’s privilege of address.
- All remarks will be addressed through the Chairman.
- Speakers may offer such objective criticisms of the school operations and programs as concern them, but in public session the Committee will not hear personal complaints of school personnel nor against any member of the school community. Under most circumstances, administrative channels are the proper means for disposition of legitimate complaints involving staff members.
- If comments require longer than five (5) minutes, they may be presented in written form to Committee members before or after the meeting for their review and consideration.
Public Participation at Committee Meetings Policy BEDH (1501)
MSC first vote 8/20/13 MSC second vote 8/27/13