Melrose Public Schools uses Lexia Reading Core5®, a dynamic computer program that has helped millions of students develop reading skills through personalized learning. The activities and instruction in Core5 are aligned to rigorous English Language Arts standards, including the Common Core State Standards.
Students in grades Kindergarten and first grade use the program to support early literacy skills. In addition, students in grades 2-8 will use the program as needed to support their reading instruction.
Here’s how Lexia Core 5 program works:
- Students complete placement activities in Core5 to determine their appropriate, individualized starting level.
- Students work independently and at their own pace on activities in Core5 several days a week.
- Students develop fundamental literacy skills in six areas of reading instruction that have been identified by national reading experts: phonological awareness, phonics, structural analysis, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension.
- Students receive scaffolding, corrective feedback, and direct instruction in Core5 when needed.
- Your student’s teacher will monitor his or her progress and performance in the online activities through data reports. These reports help teachers to determine if a student is struggling with a specific skill and requires targeted, teacher-led instruction.
Keep in mind the following as your child uses the program:
- Important! Please allow your child to work independently at his or her own pace. Provide encouragement, but don’t give away the answers!
- Please try to ensure an average of 20-30 minutes per session. We recommend that usage be kept to a reasonable level – not too short and not too long.
As an added benefit, students can use the program at home. Follow these instructions:
- Launch a web browser and go to Melrose’ Public Schools Link to Lexia Core 5. Create a bookmark or favorite for this web address.
- You will see a link to download Adobe Flash Player if you do not have it. Flash Player 11 or higher is required. If you have a slow Internet connection or if you cannot install Flash Player, you can install the Core5 software on your computer instead of using the website. Go to lexialearning.com and click Downloads at the top of the page.
- iPad and iPad Mini users can download the Core5 app from the App store. Search for “Lexia Reading Core5.”
- Android tablet users can download the Core5 app from the Google Play store. Search for “Lexia Reading Core5.” Note that the app is not available for Kindle.
- The first time you access Core5, you must set up:
- Click the Student/Parent button. Type in the student’s username and password as received from your child’s teacher.
- Allow or help your child to login. The student username and password is the same login they use at school.
We hope you enjoy participating in your child’s reading acquisition and success!