Grades K-5 Elementary Math Program
In grades K-5, the Pearson EnVision Math series is used as the core text. The resources are fully aligned to the Massachusetts Mathematics Curriculum Frameworks.
EnVision Math is a math program that balances skill instruction with instruction that develops conceptual understanding through problem-based interactive and visual learning.
The program’s philosophy has 3 key focal points:
- Conceptual Development- Interactive Learning + Visual Learning
- Ongoing Assessment, Diagnosis, and Intervention
- Differentiated Instruction
Topics are organized around math strands focusing on the Big Ideas and Essential Understandings of math. The Big Ideas are the conceptual underpinnings of the program and the glue that provides conceptual cohesion across lessons, topics, grades, and standards. Big Ideas connect Essential Understandings which occur within and across lessons.
The Massachusetts Math Curriculum Frameworks are divided into content and practice standards. The content standards outline the math concepts students should know by the end of the year. The practice standards are the mathematical habits of mind that students will develop as they go through the grades.
Pearson has a website, www.pearsonsuccessnet.com, which can be accessed for additional information about these materials. Each student receives a username and password and will have full access to their grade level math book and all program materials online. Teachers are able to assign homework and review sheets through this website. For technological assistance, you can reach the Pearson Tech Help Line at 1-800-234-5832 or contact them through the website above.
More Parent Resources:
- K-12 Standards for Mathematical Practices
- Making Sense and Persevering with Problem Solving in Mathematics
- What’s Different in Mathematics Instruction
- Activities at Home for Increasing Math Fluency
- Common Core Math Main Focus by Grade for Parents