In order to provide a consistent approach and support the Superintendent’s flexibility in the hiring of multiple principals, the Committee adopts the following policy as an option to Policy GCF:
- Chairman – central office administrator appointed by the Superintendent
- One teacher assigned to each school where a vacancy exists, appointed by the Melrose Education Association President, from a pool of volunteer teachers
- President – Melrose Education Association
- Two principals currently employed by the district, appointed by the Superintendent
- Two parents of children currently attending each school where a vacancy exists, appointed by the School Council(s)
- One Committee member appointed by the Committee Chairman
- One community representative appointed by the Committee Chairman
Interview and Selection Process
- The Superintendent will meet with parents and staff from each of the schools where an opening exists and gather input about what they are looking for in a new principal.
- The Superintendent (or designee) will provide an orientation for the search committee before the committee begins its work.
- The Superintendent (or designee) will screen written applications after consultation with the search committee and is responsible for determining that all candidates whose names are sent to the search committee meet the stated qualifications for the position being filled. A candidate who is certified, but has not yet obtained his/her certification from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), will be considered to meet the stated qualification.
- The search committee will interview a suggested maximum of 10-12 candidates and will select a maximum of eight finalists (or up to three times the number of openings). Using the information gathered from staff and parents, members of the committee may identify the school(s) they feel best match candidates’ skills, abilities, and management style, but it is the Superintendent’s responsibility to make the final appointment.
- The Superintendent (and if deemed appropriate by the Superintendent, central office administrator(s)) will interview finalists for each of the schools with an opening.
- The Superintendent reserves the right to determine the number of search committee members who visit each finalist’s school. Finalists will visit Melrose schools for which he/she is a candidate, and meet with parents and staff members. Feedback can be provided to [email protected]
- The Superintendent may appoint a finalist for each of the schools, or may reject candidates for any or all schools and reopen the search for those schools, at any stage of the process.
MSC first vote: 10/14/14
MSC second vote: 10/28/14